Renowned for its fine cuisine, superb entertaining, accommodation and dignified atmosphere, The Royal Northern and University Club has kept pace with the changing times. The Northern Club was founded in 1854 by 116 members of whom the great majority were local gentry and proprietors. The club’s first home was a prestigious building, situated on the corner of Union Terrace and Union Street. In 1863 the Club was placed at the disposal of Her Royal Majesty, Queen Victoria, when she came to unveil the statue of her beloved Albert, who had died of typhoid in 1861. In recognition of the club’s hospitality, she graciously bestowed her patronage on the Club, which then became The Royal Northern Club. In 1874 the Club moved to Union Street and in 1955 to its present location in Albyn Place. The University Club, founded in 1889, was originally in Union Street. The two Clubs amalgamated in 1979, and it was decided to retain No. 9 Albyn Place.
Accommodation is available at the Royal Northern & University Club.